Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Words That Let You Know What's in Your Heart

When I was in high school, I used to meet with a woman who tutored me for the SATs.  She tried to make it fun which wasn't easy, but she did have us do one exercise that I always loved.

She asked us to come up with two words each week that really meant something to us.  It sounded crazy and way too esoteric, but it turned out to be fun and actually taught me a lot about myself.

I remember the words that really grabbed me.

One was "conundrum".  The dictionary definition is "a paradoxical, insoluble, or difficult problem; a dilemma".

But, I just loved the sound of it.  It made a puzzle or difficult problem sound like an adventure.  

The other word was "ineffable".  The exact definition is "incapable of being expressed; indescribable".

I loved this word.  It's the way I always wanted life to be, so full of passion that you just couldn't describe it in words.

Well, lately, not that I am studying for the SAT, I came across two words that I am adding to my word collection.

The first, "catalysis", suggests change and the definition is "an action between two or more persons or forces, initiated by an agent that itself remains unaffected by the action."  How cool is that? When you put two people together with common interests and they work to create something amazing.  You know that you have helped create the event or the result, but it's done from afar and you leave the actors alone.

That is, of course, my eventual dream for the Oxygen Network, putting women together to create their dreams, whatever they may be.

The next word is "firebrand".  It means "a person who is passionate about a particular cause, typically inciting change and taking radical action".

Who wouldn't want to be a firebrand?  You may be causing conflict, but maybe you are also making a difference and changing lives.

So, next time you are listening in on someone's conversation or you read something totally thought provoking, ask yourself what are some of my favorite words and why?  It just might clue you into your future dreams or who you really are.

Or, maybe, you will just have fun.

Denise