Saturday, February 16, 2013

Words of Wisdom from Dr. Seuss




I love this quote.  My younger son mentioned it to me for the first time when he was 17.  He said he lived by that motto.  Sometimes it didn't make those around him very happy, but my son seemed quite at ease with himself by using those words to guide his life.

I put the quote up on my bulletin board in my office and, just lately, I have been thinking about its simple wisdom.

The older I get, believe it or not, the more I like myself.  Or, at least, I don't dislike myself as much as I used to.  I used to think that if someone didn't like me or what I did (or I perceived that was the case), I would feel rejected and ask what was wrong with me.  

But now, I think hard about the situation and whether I have done something that is inauthentic or goes against who I am at my core and ask myself "what's really going on here?".  Sometimes, someone is actually giving me constructive criticism and I learn to be a better person.  Other times, I see that quote on my bulletin board and I laugh.  I am who I am.  I have my flaws, as does everyone, but overall, I like who I am.  

And, if that means people mind what I say or do (assuming it's not mean), then it's time to move on.  I am impressed with those who have achieved a certain confidence in themselves earlier on than I have.  It has taken me longer, but that's OK, because that's also part of me too.

I hope that you too have found that place inside of you that doesn't always assume that it's you, not them that is the problem.  It's not a case of trying to be selfish or stubborn, it's just knowing "you can't please all the people all the time".  And, that is not such a bad thing.

Denise