Friday, May 31, 2013

Being In the Moment or Not


I know you have been getting a lot of information from me lately, but I haven’t been writing and, honestly, I miss it.

I don’t know about you, but I am finding that my will power level with technology is zilch.  I was in Target yesterday (which I actually enjoy) and between 3 text messages, 5 emails, and 2 phone calls, I didn’t focus very well.

I noticed two things: I didn’t enjoy the moment that I was in...and I did a lousy job of responding to the technological distractions.

Why did I have to even look at my phone, you may ask?  I don’t know.  I wish I knew the answer. Do I feel that the world cannot go on without my immediate assistance?  Am I afraid of missing something, the oh so ridiculous FOMO (fear of missing out)?

I don’t have an answer.  I just know it takes away from the moment and whatever I am doing, it becomes less enjoyable and less productive.

I can’t multi-task, well I can, I just don’t do it well. 

Do you have this problem or is it just me?  All I know is that I like just doing one thing at a time and I am fairly good at it.  This is the basis of mindfulness and why it brings peace to one’s life (I am told).  Anyway, I will be pursuing more mindfulness next time I am in Target.

I would love to hear your suggestions if you have found a way to temper your temptation to check your email or read a text when you are in the middle of doing something else.

I know there are times when you have to answer a text, email, or call.  That is the wonder of cell phones.  But, I am not a brain surgeon.  Life will go without me for an hour or a day or even longer.  

I am sure there is a “creative” solution I have not considered...

By the way, a very insightful reader, Johanna, just sent me this  5 minute video which perfectly describes what I am feeling.

"What The Internet is Doing to Our Brains" video

Denise