Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Crash Course on Creativity - Week 2

Welcome to Week 2  -  Observation: Are You Paying Attention?

In this week's class, Tina is trying to get us to open our eyes and not live on autopilot so much.  Part of being more creative is noticing more about what is going on around you.

Here is a short 3 minute video where Tina talks about people who think they are lucky versus those that don't and how that affects what they see and do:  "Paying Attention".

This next video really hits home for me as I love to travel alone.  When I do that, I am hyper aware of my surroundings and the most amazing things happen to me.  In this short 4 minute video, Tom Kelley, a partner in IDEO, discusses how "Thinking Like a Traveler" changes your view, and consequently, makes you more creative and open to opportunities.

"Thinking Like a Traveler" video

He quotes Marcel Proust in the video to explain the phenomenon of paying attention, "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes".

If you can have a higher state of awareness, you will see more opportunities.

I know it sounds like magic, but put into action, it opens up doors and new experiences.

Denise
entrenoususa@gmail.com